I Started Out Like Many Women, Not Knowing Anything About Makeup.
Yes, you read that right. Your girl did not know anything about makeup beyond simple POWDER foundation application, filling in my brows and lipstick. The End. That was my makeup routine.
Don’t get me wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that makeup routine. Because honey, you couldn’t tell me I wasn’t cute. I was “happy in my makeup”
It wasn’t until my 25th birthday, that I realized I wanted to do something more with my makeup routine. My best friend, who was my hairstylist at the time, gave me a 25th birthday beat. Things never were the same.
After that, I relied on her to make me up for events and special occasions. And in between those moments, I would ask her for all the tips so I could practice on my own. Then she moved away, like 13 hours away. And I was indeed, on my own.
So I practiced and practiced and practiced. Could you believe that at the beginning of 2019, I could barely do eyeshadow? I began creating beautiful makeup looks for the “Gram” and Facebook weekly. But something just felt like it was missing. I enjoyed creating the looks but I wanted to begin doing something more impactful and reaching more women.
I didn’t want to be seen as an “influencer” because I am literally an everyday, simple woman, and I wanted to reach that audience and meet them where they were. If I am going to be seen as an influencer, I wanted to be one that “influences” women to embrace who they are with and without makeup. I wanted to “influence” them to redefine what beauty means to them and share their beauty stories.
So here we are, on the Set Your Beauty Standard blog. Welcome to the place where women are working to define beauty from within!
It’s Our Birthday Month!
So here’s 28 things about me!
In June 2020, at 28 years of age, I stepped out on faith and launched this blog! Happy birthday to us!
1. My favorite color is purple but I also love rose gold.
2. If I had to choose a favorite food, I would choose tacos. And tequila (wait does that count?)
3.I do not have children but I do have a dog daughter whom I love.
4. I love, love, love dessert. I have a huge sweet tooth, especially for ice cream.
5. If you don’t know already, I am a Gemini!
6. I love to drink wine. I haven’t tried many but my favorite choices are from a local winery, Duplin.
7. I have only been out of the country once and traveled to about six states. I hope to get some more traveling in when the ‘Rona leaves.
8. My favorite season is spring but the runner up would be fall. With both of these the temp is usually the lesser of the extremes but here in North Carolina…yea it’s almost always summer with a pinch of winter.
9. To know me is to know I love me some Jackie Aina. I learned a lot from watching her Youtube videos. I also am a new fan of Tabitha Brown. They keep me laughing and learning.
10. I graduated from North Carolina State University with two B.A.’s. One in Criminology and one in Anthropology. I also have a Master’s Degree.
11. My favorite subject in grade school was surprisingly, math. I hate it now. Don’t ask me to add.
12. I am a giant. I am a whole 5’3″ out here in these streets.
13. I have two older brothers and we are all 7 years apart.
14. I love to indulge in some reality TV. I absolutely love Married At First Sight and I binged Love is Blind.
15. While we are on TV shows, let me just say, I never miss an episode of Insecure. Are y’all #TeamIssa or #TeamMolly?
16. I do not have a favorite book of the Bible, since I have not read it in its entirety, but I have quite a few favorite scriptures out of the Book of Matthew.
17. Something that makes me unique would probably be my name. If you didn’t know, it’s pronounced like the word special.
18. Something else that makes me unique is that I am probably one of few that has not bought anything from Fashion Nova.
20. When it comes to fashion, I love comfort but make it chic. I have a thing for flatforms/platforms, especially in the summer.
21. My favorite clothing brand is: C L E A R A N C E. Clearance baby. If it ain’t on sale then it ain’t for me.
22. My relationship status: Happily taken for almost 7 months. My amazing boyfriend actually came up with these questions for this list.
23. My dream home would be a renovated ranch style home, with a large front porch and a screened back porch. A fence and a nice yard. Oh and the kitchen!….okay we don’t have the time to get into all that.
24. I believe that I am most passionate about service. I love being able to help individuals in any capacity. Through this website, through work, through church, any way I can be of service to someone in need of something.
25. In my “leisure” time, as of lately, I actually spend most of my time playing in makeup, working on this blog, and spending time with my boyfriend.
26. Before makeup, I spent majority of my time reading. I currently have a mini library of all types of books. Before I moved, I actually had to give away boxfuls to be able to make more room for other things.
27. If I could choose a superpower, I would want my superpower to be fearlessness. Just think of how many projects and opportunities you would jump on if you weren’t afraid.
28. At this exact moment, while I am typing this list, I am feeling excited, nervous, and tired.